Thursday 12 March 2015

Somalia: Remembering the days at school


Authorities on the ground may be doing too little against poverty and ignorance, but being a student in Somalia is different.


Trawling my smartphone, I have come across this photo of secondary school students sitting in front of Sheikh Osman Secondary school- It seems I snapped it in late October 2014 when I was leaving for post-secondary education continuity.



I turned up to say hello and bid farewell to old and new colleagues. Actually, they decked out themselves for classes, and my encounter with them occurred exactly around 8:00 AM.

Whatsoever, you need to recount stories worthy and to think of the success of the present time, yet to grasp the reasons behind your ambitions, one should bear in mind that he/she has a long way to go!

It took me several hours to chill out with students, say something of worthwhile and share memories of studies with them.

It's courage to start the ball rolling and to look up to those who once were part of your near-daily experiences.

To be a student means you want to make a difference in a country where education facilities were broken down, say into shatters and the only state university remained closed for over two decades until recently.

I was told about the paradise and how beautiful Somalia was in 1970s and 1980s-education was free of charge, nevertheless today dropout cases due to dire economic situation at households are proliferating at an alarming rate.

Although, I am full of nostalgia like many, we must stand by our children, get vulnerable into schools and keep our fingers crossed for schoolboys and schoolgirls in inconducive evirons

No comments:

Post a Comment